Re: Migrating EC pool to device-class crush rules

On 7/18/2018 10:27 PM, Konstantin Shalygin wrote:
So mostly I want to confirm that is is safe to change the crush rule for
the EC pool.

Changing crush rules for replicated or ec pool is safe.

One thing is, when I was migrated from multiroot to device-classes I was recreate ec pools and clone images with qemu-img for ec_overwrites feature, so I don't have experience with changing erasure-profiles.

Ah right... in my case this is a rgw object store pool containing a few PB data, so I don't want to try recreating it!

Your old profile doesn't have root value, so this is 'default', new rule will be have 'default' too. So I don't see any disadvantages with this migration.

There is a hidden change though, as the value of "default" changed through time.

We originally had two crush root buckets, one "ssd" and the other "default" (containing the hdd devices)... and no common root above these to make device class rules work.

So I renamed "default" to "platter" (aka hdd); re-typed both that and the "ssd" buckets arbitrarily to "rack", and moved them under a new "default" root bucket. The old crush rules refer to the original ssd and platter bucket ids, while the new device-class rules can refer to the new default root.

Anyway I suspect the "crush-root=default" in the ec profile is probably just used when creating the corresponding crush rule, to populate the "take" command, so this shouldn't be significant.

At least I hope not. The relationship between the crush rule and the ec profile, when changing the crush rule on an existing ec pool, is still not very clear to me...

Graham
--
Graham Allan
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute - gta@xxxxxxx