Exact scope of OSD heartbeating?

The documentation here:

says

"Each Ceph OSD Daemon checks the heartbeat of other Ceph OSD Daemons every 6 seconds"

and

" If a neighboring Ceph OSD Daemon doesn’t show a heartbeat within a 20 second grace period, the Ceph OSD Daemon may consider the neighboring Ceph OSD Daemon down and report it back to a Ceph Monitor,"

I've always thought that each OSD heartbeats with *every* other OSD, which of course means that total heartbeat traffic grows ~ quadratically.  However in extending test we've observed that the number of other OSDs that a subject heartbeat (heartbeated?) was < N, which has us wondering if perhaps only OSDs with which a given OSD shares are contacted -- or some other subset.

I plan to submit a doc fix for mon_osd_min_down_reporters and wanted to resolve this FUD first.

-- aad