Re: separate monitoring node

> On Jun 22, 2018, at 2:14 AM, Stefan Kooman <stefan@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Just checking here: Are you using the telegraf ceph plugin on the nodes?
> In that case you _are_ duplicating data. But the good news is that you
> don't need to. There is a Ceph mgr telegraf plugin now (mimic) which
> also works on luminous: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/mgr/telegraf/

Hi Stefan,

I’m just curious what the advantage you see to the telegraf plugin, then feeding into influxdb, rather than the influxdb plugin in ceph-mgr already existing.
Just generally curious what the advantage is to outputting into telegraf then into influx, unless you are outputting to a different TSDB from Telegraf.

Still have my OSD’s reporting their own stats in collectd daemons on all of my OSD nodes, as a supplement to the direct ceph-mgr -> influxdb statistics.
Almost moved everything to telegraf after Luminous broke some collectd data collection, but it all got sorted out.

> You configure a listener ([[inputs.socket_listener]) on the nodes where
> you have ceph mgr running (probably mons) and have the mgr plugin send
> data to the socket. The telegraf daemon will pick it up and send it to
> influx (or whatever target you configured). As there is only one active
> mgr, you don't have the issue of duplicating data, and the solution is
> still HA.
> Gr. Stefan

And +1 for icinga2 alerting.

Thanks,