Backfill stops after a while after OSD reweight

Dear all,

we (somewhat) recently extended our Ceph cluster,
and updated it to Luminous. By now, the fill level
on some ODSs is quite high again, so I'd like to
re-balance via "OSD reweight".

I'm running into the following problem, however:
Not matter what I do (reweigt a little, or a lot,
or only reweight a single OSD by 5%) - after a
while, backfilling simply stops and lots of objects
stay misplaced.

I do have up to 250 PGs per OSD (early sins from
the first days of the cluster), but I've set
"mon_max_pg_per_osd = 400" and
"osd_max_pg_per_osd_hard_ratio = 1.5" to compensate.

How can I find out why backfill stops? Any advice
would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Oliver