Re: iSCSI rookies questions

Hi Max,

just a sidenote: we are using a fork of RBDSR
(https://github.com/vico-research-and-consulting/RBDSR) to connect
XENServer 7.2 Community to RBDs directly using rbd-nbd.
After a bit of hacking this works pretty good: direct RBD Creation from
the storage repo, live Migration between xen-nodes and pool, migration
between pools

A few weeks we had two options to decide:

  * Do pioneer work with the new and really fancy active/active
    multipathed LIO TCMU-U infrastructure
      o compile a bunch of software and create packages for ubuntu
        ("ceph-iscsi-config", "python-rtslib-bf", "a recent
        linux-kernel", "ceph-iscsi-config", "ceph-iscsi-cli",
        "ceph-iscsi-tools", " tcmu-runner",  ...)
      o get the setup stable, work on a complex setup with no real userbase
      o deploy iscsi gateways on our 5 osd nodes and distribute workload
        on some pairs of gateways
      o have krbd load on osd nodes, add complexity on ceph-upgrades
      o accept the limitations of iscsi, especially hacky edge-cases if
        gateways go away and return
      o write automation code for our centralized operations inventory
        system which interfaces and manages the associations of xen vms
        to iscsi storage repos, iscsi volumes, rbd images
  * Do pioneer work on RBDSR
      o improve the storage gluecode of RBDSR
      o get the setup stable, work on a simpler setup with no userbase
      o have real multipathed rbd access without limitations
      o get a good performance, especially in overall-cluster-view
        (especially LACP bandwith usage between xen servers and ceph osds)
      o have librbd (rbd-nbd, ceph-client) workload on every xenserver dom-0
        => better scaling: more xen servers -> better overall performance
      o utilize rbd cache (there is nothing comparable in XENServer 7.2
        Community)
      o use the capabilities of ceph to create snapshots, clone systems

What do you think about that?

Regards
Marc