Re: RBD lock on unmount

This is not common unless you are using the kernel driver to map an RBD on a host running OSDs.  I've never had a problem unmounting an RBD that didn't have open file handles.  Note that Linux considers an FS to be active if a terminal, screen, etc is cd'd into the mounted directory.  Do you need to service files via NFS to non-linux servers?  If not, you might want to go the CephFS route.

If however you were using the kernel driver to map an RBD on a host running OSDs, then there is a known deadlock that can happen and try rebooting the machine before either changing the host you're mapping the RBD to or switching to rbd-fuse or rbd-nbd.