Re: a big cluster or several small

For what it worth, yahoo published their setup some years ago:
https://yahooeng.tumblr.com/post/116391291701/yahoo-cloud-object-store-object-storage-at

54 nodes per cluster for 3.2PB of raw storage, I guess this leads to 16
* 4TB hdd per node, thus 896 per cluster

(they may have used ssd as journal, anyway)
This setup is only viable because they are using HTTP, which load is
easily and highly balanceable