Re: a big cluster or several small

Hi,

On 14/05/18 17:49, Marc Boisis wrote:

> Currently we have a 294 OSD (21 hosts/3 racks) cluster with RBD clients
> only, 1 single pool (size=3).

That's not a large cluster.

> We want to divide this cluster into several to minimize the risk in case
> of failure/crash.
> For example, a cluster for the mail, another for the file servers, a
> test cluster ...
> Do you think it's a good idea ?

I'd venture the opinion that you cluster isn't yet big enough to be
thinking about that; you get increased reliability with a larger cluster
(each disk failure is a smaller % of the whole, for example); our
largest cluster here is 3060 OSDs...

We've grown this from a start of 540 OSDs.

> Do you have experience feedback on multiple clusters in production on
> the same hardware:

I think if you did want to have multiple clusters, you'd want to have
each cluster on different hardware.

Regards,

Matthew

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research