Re: a big cluster or several small

The more servers you have in your cluster, the less impact a failure causes to the cluster. Monitor your systems and keep them up to date.  You can also isolate data with clever crush rules and creating multiple zones.

Mike Kuriger

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marc Boisis
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 9:50 AM
To: ceph-users
Subject: a big cluster or several small

Hi,

Hello,

Currently we have a 294 OSD (21 hosts/3 racks) cluster with RBD clients only, 1 single pool (size=3).

We want to divide this cluster into several to minimize the risk in case of failure/crash.

For example, a cluster for the mail, another for the file servers, a test cluster ...

Do you think it's a good idea ?

Do you have experience feedback on multiple clusters in production on the same hardware:

- containers (LXD or Docker)

- multiple cluster on the same host without virtualization (with ceph-deploy ... --cluster ...)

- multilple pools

Do you have any advice?