Re: a big cluster or several small

Well

I currently manage 27 nodes, over 9 clusters
There is some burden that you should considers

The easiest is : "what do we do when two smalls clusters, which grows
slowly, need more space"
With one cluster: buy a node, add it, done
With two clusters: buy two nodes, add them, done

This can be an issue;

If you can move the data between clusters transparently and painlessly,
then it's OK : most of our data is used via Proxmox clusters, which
allow us to move from one Ceph cluster to an other, so we can
"rebalance" the whole stuff

However, we also have some Cephfs stuff, and this is not the same deal:
moving part of a cephfs between clusters in a pita (youhou, rsync & friends)

Considering all of this, splitting your cluster may be a sane idea, or
may be not, I however recommend against over-splitting : it does not
worth it