Re: GDPR encryption at rest

On 02/05/18 16:12, David Turner wrote:
> I've heard conflicting opinions if GDPR requires data to be encrypted
> at rest
Encryption both in transit and at rest is part of data protection by
design: it is about making sure that you have control over the data that
you hold/are processing and that if you lose physical control over the
storage medium (at rest) or the communication channel (in transit) that
you do not also have a loss of control (a data breach). Encrypted data,
whether it includes a personal data or not, is 'protected' secure data.

GDPR doesn't particularly describe encryption but the ICO guidance does
and in particular

"Where appropriate, you should look to use measures such as
pseudonymisation and encryption."

We're currently working on a Ceph based Document Management System with
object encryption which needs to comply with GDPR for users - and we're
opting for encrypting everything!