Re: What is the meaning of size and min_size for erasure-coded pools?

Thank you everyone for your replies. However, I feel that at least
part of the discussion deviated from the topic of my original post. As
I wrote before, I am dealing with a toy cluster, whose purpose is not
to provide a resilient storage, but to evaluate ceph and its behavior
in the event of a failure, with particular attention paid to
worst-case scenarios. This cluster is purposely minimal, and is built
on VMs running on my workstation, all OSDs storing data on a single
SSD. That's definitely not a production system.

I am not asking for advice on how to build resilient clusters, not at
this point. I asked some questions about specific things that I
noticed during my tests, and that I was not able to find explained in
ceph documentation. Dan van der Ster wrote:
> See https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/8008 for the reason why min_size defaults to k+1 on ec pools.
That's a good point, but I am wondering why are reads also blocked
when number of OSDs falls down to k? What if total number of OSDs in a
pool (n) is larger than k+m, should the min_size then be k(+1) or
n-m(+1)?
In any case, since min_size can be easily changed, then I guess this
is not an implementation issue, but rather a documentation issue.

Which leaves these my questions still unanswered:
After killing m OSDs and setting min_size=k most of PGs were now
active+undersized, often with ...+degraded and/or remapped, but a few
were active+clean or active+clean+remapped. Why? I would expect all
PGs to be in the same state (perhaps active+undersized+degraded?).
Is this mishmash of PG states normal? If not, would I have avoided it
if I created the pool with min_size=k=3 from the start? In other
words, does min_size influence the assignment of PGs to OSDs? Or is it
only used to force I/O shutdown in the event of OSDs failures?

Thank you very much

Maciej Puzio