Re: Instrumenting RBD IO

You might want to take a look at the Zipkin tracing hooks that are
(semi)integrated into Ceph [1]. The hooks are disabled by default in
release builds so you would need to rebuild Ceph yourself and then
enable tracing via the 'rbd_blkin_trace_all = true' configuration
option [2].

[1] http://victoraraujo.me/babeltrace-zipkin/
[2] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/common/options.cc#L6275

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a mechanism to instrument an RBD workload to
> elucidate what takes place on OSDs to troubleshoot performance issues
> better.
>
> Currently, we can issue the RBD IO, such as via fio, and observe just the
> overall performance. One needs to guess what OSDs that hits and try to find
> from dump historic ops what is the bottleneck.
>
> It seems that integrating the timings into some sort of a debug flag for rbd
> bench or fio would help a lot of us locate bottlenecks faster.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>

> --
> --