Instrumenting RBD IO

I was wondering if there is a mechanism to instrument an RBD workload to elucidate what takes place on OSDs to troubleshoot performance issues better.

Currently, we can issue the RBD IO, such as via fio, and observe just the overall performance. One needs to guess what OSDs that hits and try to find from dump historic ops what is the bottleneck.

It seems that integrating the timings into some sort of a debug flag for rbd bench or fio would help a lot of us locate bottlenecks faster.

Thanks,
Alex

Alex Gorbachev
Storcium