Re: Ceph iSCSI is a prank?

It's very high on our priority list to get a solution merged in the
upstream kernel. There was a proposal to use DLM to distribute the PGR
state between target gateways (a la the SCST target) and it's quite
possible that would have the least amount of upstream resistance since
it would work for all backends and not just RBD. We, of course, would
love to just use the Ceph cluster to distribute the state information
instead of requiring a bolt-on DLM (with its STONITH error handling),
but we'll take what we can get (merged).

I believe SUSE uses a custom downstream kernel that stores the PGR
state in the Ceph cluster but requires two round-trips to the cluster
for each IO (first to verify the PGR state and the second to perform
the IO). The PetaSAN project is built on top of these custom kernel
patches as well, I believe.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:50 AM, Samuel Soulard <samuel.soulard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On another note, is there any work being done for persistent group
> reservations support for Ceph/LIO compatibility? Or just a rough estimate :)
>
> Would love to see Redhat/Ceph support this type of setup.  I know Suse
> supports it as of late.
>
> Sam
>
> On Mar 1, 2018 07:33, "Kai Wagner" <kwagner@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I totally understand and see your frustration here, but you've to keep
>> in mind that this is an Open Source project with a lots of volunteers.
>> If you have a really urgent need, you have the possibility to develop
>> such a feature on your own or you've to buy someone who could do the
>> work for you.
>>
>> It's a long journey but it seems like it finally comes to an end.
>>

>> On 03/01/2018 01:26 PM, Max Cuttins wrote:
>> > It's obvious that Citrix in not anymore belivable.
>> > However, at least Ceph should have added iSCSI to it's platform during
>> > all these years.
>> > Ceph is awesome, so why just don't kill all the competitors make it
>> > compatible even with washingmachine?
>>
>> --
>> SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB
>> 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

Jason