Re: Luminous Watch Live Cluster Changes Problem

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Georgios Dimitrakakis
<giorgis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have recently updated to Luminous (12.2.4) and I have noticed that using
> "ceph -w" only produces an initial output like the one below but never gets
> updated afterwards. Is this a feature because I was used to the old way that
> was constantly
> producing info.

It's intentional.  "ceph -w" is the command that follows the Ceph
cluster log.  The monitor used to dump the pg status into the cluster
log every 5 seconds, which was useful sometimes, but also made the log
pretty unreadable for anything else, because other output was quickly
swamped with the pg status spam.

To replicate the de-facto old behaviour (print the pg status every 5
seconds), you can always do something like `watch -n1 "ceph status |
grep pgs"`

There's work ongoing to create a nice replacement that does a status
stream without spamming the cluster log to accomplish it here:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/20100

Cheers,
John