Re: ceph-deploy won't install luminous (but Jewel instead)

Ah!
So you think this is done by design?

However that command is very very very usefull.
Please add that to documentation.
Next time it will save me 2/3 hours.

Il 01/03/2018 06:12, Sébastien VIGNERON ha scritto:
Hi Max,

I had the same issue (under Ubuntu 16.04) but I have read the ceph-deploy 2.0.0 source code and saw a "—-release" flag for the install subcommand. You can found the flag with the following command: ceph-deploy install --help

It looks like the culprit part of ceph-deploy can be found around line 20 of /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ceph_deploy/install.py:

    14 def sanitize_args(args):
    15    """
    16    args may need a bunch of logic to set proper defaults that argparse is
    17    not well suited for.
    18    """
    19    if args.release is None:
    20        args.release = 'jewel'
    21        args.default_release = True
    22
    23    # XXX This whole dance is because --stable is getting deprecated
    24    if args.stable is not None:
    25        LOG.warning('the --stable flag is deprecated, use --release instead')
    26        args.release = args.stable
    27    # XXX Tango ends here.
    28
    29    return args

Which means we now have to specify "—-release luminous" when we want to install a luminous cluster, at least until luminous is considered stable and the ceph-deploy tool is changed.
I think it may be a Kernel version consideration: not all distro have the needed minimum version of the kernel (and features) for a full use of luminous.

Cordialement / Best regards,

Sébastien VIGNERON
CRIANN,
Ingénieur / Engineer