Re: OSD maintenance (ceph osd set noout)

Like John says, noout prevents an osd being marked out in the cluster. It does not impede it from being marked down and back up which is the desired behavior when restarting a server. What are you seeing with your osds becoming unusable and needing to rebuild them?

When rebooting a server if it takes too long to come back up then the osds will get marked out and data will start backfilling to replace the copies on the osds that are no longer "in" in the cluster.

Once those osds come back, not only do they need to backfill to catch up on what they missed while they were down, but the cluster now needs to undo all of the data migration it was doing to recover from them being marked out.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018, 4:24 PM John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 6:37 PM, Andre Goree <andre@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it still considered best practice to set 'noout' for OSDs that will be
> going under maintenance, e.g., rebooting an OSD ndoe for a kernel update?
>
> I ask, because I've set this twice now during times which the OSDs would
> only momentarily be 'out', however each time I've done this, the OSDs have
> become unusable and I've had to rebuild them.

Can you be more specific about "unusable"?  Marking an OSD noout is of
course not meant to harm it!

John