Re: Linux Distribution: Is upgrade the kerner version a good idea?

On 02/25/2018 01:18 PM, Massimiliano Cuttini wrote:

> Is upgrade the kernel to major version on a distribution a bad idea?
> Or is just safe as like as upgrade like any other package?
> I prefer ultra stables release instead of latest higher package.

In that case it's probably best to stick with the latest kernel that has
been released by the distributor for that particular distribution
version. Upgrading to newer kernel versions can be tricky, if they
require new userland utilities for managing new features.

> But maybe I'm in wrong thinking that latest major kernel not in the
> default repository is likely say "dev distribution" and instead is just
> a stable release as like every others.

It's in there for a reason ;) For running Ceph (on the cluster side), a
latest and greatest kernel version is not really required, as the Ceph
services run in userland anyway.

The only requirement that I could think of that might benefit from
running a more recent kernel is using the kRBD or CephFS modules, but
these are "client drivers" - no need to upgrade the kernel on your
entire cluster because of that.

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)