Linux Distribution: Is upgrade the kerner version a good idea?

Hi everybody,

Just a simple question.
In order to deploy Ceph...

Do you'll use a default distribution that already support recommended kernel version (> 4.4).
Let's say Ubuntu.

OR

Do you'll use your preferred linux distribution and just upgrade it to a higher kernerl version.
Let's say CentOS.

... and a bonus question:

Is upgrade the kernel to major version on a distribution a bad idea?
Or is just safe as like as upgrade like any other package?
I prefer ultra stables release instead of latest higher package.
But maybe I'm in wrong thinking that latest major kernel not in the default repository is likely say "dev distribution" and instead is just a stable release as like every others.

Thanks for all your tips, opinion and clarification! :)