Re: Ceph Bluestore performance question

Answering the first RDMA question myself...

Am 18.02.2018 um 16:45 schrieb Oliver Freyermuth:
> This leaves me with two questions:
> - Is it safe to use RDMA with 12.2.2 already? Reading through this mail archive,
>   I grasped it may lead to memory exhaustion and in any case needs some hacks to the systemd service files.

I tried that on our cluster and while I had a running cluster for a few minutes, I ran into many random disconnects,
mons and mgrs disconnecting, osds vanishing, no client being able to connect...
I got the very same issues described here:
https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/22944
I'm also on CentOS 7.4, with Connect-X3 cards, but was not using a modern Mellanox OFED, but the stack that came with CentOS 7.4.

Hence, I reverted to IPoIB.
However, I got a significant performance improvement (> 2x) by switching
to mode "connected" and MTU 65520 instead of mode "datagram" and MTU 2044 as outlined e.g. here:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/InfiniBand#Performance_tuning

Total throughput in iperf (send + recv) is now about 30 GBit/s.

Even though this is not "perfect" (harddrives are a bit bored...), it's sufficient for our usecase and runs very stable. I'll try some sysctl tuning in the next days.