Re: Migrating to new pools

Dear list, hello Jason,

you may have seen my message on the Ceph mailing list about RDB pool migration - it's a common subject that pools were created in a sub-optimum fashion and i. e. pgnum is (not yet) reducible, so we're looking into means to "clone" an RBD pool into a new pool within the same cluster (including snapshots).

We had looked into creating a tool for this job, but soon noticed that we're duplicating basic functionality of rbd-mirror. So we tested the following, which worked out nicely:

- create a test cluster (Ceph cluster plus an Openstack cluster using an RBD pool) and some Openstack instances

- create a second Ceph test cluster

- stop Openstack

- use rbd-mirror to clone the RBD pool from the first to the second Ceph cluster (IOW aborting rbd-mirror once the initial coping was done)

- recreate the RDB pool on the first cluster

- use rbd-mirror to clone the mirrored pool back to the (newly created) pool on the first cluster

- start Openstack and work with the (recreated) pool on the first cluster

So using rbd-mirror, we could clone an RBD pool's content to a differently structured pool on the same cluster - by using an intermediate cluster.

@Jason: Looking at the commit history for rbd-mirror, it seems you might be able to shed some light on this: Do you see an easy way to modify rbd-mirror in such a fashion that instead of mirroring to a pool on a different cluster (having the same pool name as the original), mirroring would be to a pool on the *same* cluster, (obviously having a pool different name)?

From the "rbd cppool" perspective, a one-shot mode of operation would be fully sufficient - but looking at the code, I have not even been able to identify the spots where we might "cut away" the networking part, so that rbd-mirror might do an intra-cluster job.

Are you able to judge how much work would need to be done, in order to create a one-shot, intra-cluster version of rbd-mirror? Might it even be something that could be a simple enhancement?

Thank you for any information and / or opinion you care to share!

With regards,
Jens