Re: Efficient deletion of large radosgw buckets

Which is more important to you?  Deleting the bucket fast or having the used space become available?  If deleting the bucket fast is the priority, then you can swamp the GC by multithreading object deletion from the bucket with python or something.  If having everything deleted and cleaned up from the cluster is the priority (which is most likely the case), then what you have there is the best option.  If you want to do it in the background away from what the client can see, then you can change the ownership of the bucket so they no longer see it and then take care of the bucket removal in the background, but purging the objects and bypassing the GC is definitely the way to go. ... It's just really slow.

I just noticed that your question is about ceph rebalancing.  What rebalancing do you expect to see during this operation that you're trying to avoid?  I'm unaware of any such rebalancing (unless it might be the new automatic OSD rebalancing mechanism in Luminous to keep OSDs even... but deleting data shouldn't really trigger that if the cluster is indeed balanced).