Re: Importance of Stable Mon and OSD IPs

Hi,

On 02/01/2018 07:21 AM, Mayank Kumar wrote:
Thanks Gregory and Burkhard

In kubernetes we use rbd create  and rbd map/unmap commands. In this perspective are you referring to rbd as the client or after the image is created and mapped, is there a different client running inside the kernel that you are referring to which can get osd and mon updates ?

My question is mainly after we have run the rbd ccreate and rbd map commands, does a  client still exsit or its gone ? If the rbd image is mapped on a host and then if osd or mon ips change , what happens in this case ?

AFAIK the 'rbd create' command is creating its own client userspace session, which is terminated after the command is finished.

'rbd map' is instructing the kernel to map the given image to a block device. And the kernel is keeping track of map changes notified by the mons, including osd/mon ip changes.

You can verify this by having a look at the /sys/kernel/debug/ceph directory. All active kernel client sessions (rbd map or cephfs) create a subdirectory contain some information about the current state of the client.

Regards,
Burkhard