Re: Importance of Stable Mon and OSD IPs

Resending in case this email was lost

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:50 PM Mayank Kumar <krmayankk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Burkhard for the detailed explanation. Regarding the following:-

>>>The ceph client (librbd accessing a volume in this case) gets asynchronous notification from the ceph mons in case of relevant changes, e.g. updates to the osd map reflecting the failure of an OSD.
i have some more questions:-
1:  Does the asynchronous notification for both osdmap and monmap comes from mons ?
2:  Are these asynchronous notifications retriable ?
3: Is it possible that the these asynchronous notifications are lost  ?
4: Does the monmap and osdmap reside in the kernel or user space ? The reason i am asking is , for a rbd volume that is already mounted on a host, will it continue to receive those asynchronoous notifications for changes to both osd and mon ips or not ? If All mon ips change,  but the mon configuration file is updated to reflect the new mon ips, should the existing rbd volume mounted still be able to contact the osd's and mons or is there some form of caching in the kernel space for an already mounted rbd volume

Some more context for why i am getting all these doubts:-
We internally had a ceph cluster with rbd volumes being provisioned by Kubernetes. With existing rbd volumes already mounted , we wiped out the old ceph cluster and created a brand new ceph cluster . But the existing rbd volumes from the old cluster still remained. Any kubernetes pods that landed on the same host as an old rbd volume would not create because the volume failed to attach and mount. Looking at the kernel messages we saw the following:-

-- Logs begin at Fri 2018-01-19 02:05:38 GMT, end at Fri 2018-01-19 19:23:14 GMT. --

Jan 19 19:20:39 host1.com kernel: libceph: osd2 10.231.171.131:6808 socket closed (con state CONNECTING)

Jan 19 19:18:30 host1.com kernel: libceph: osd28 10.231.171.52:6808 socket closed (con state CONNECTING)

Jan 19 19:18:30 host1.com kernel: libceph: osd0 10.231.171.131:6800 socket closed (con state CONNECTING)

Jan 19 19:15:40 host1.com kernel: libceph: osd21 10.231.171.99:6808 wrong peer at address

Jan 19 19:15:40 host1.com kernel: libceph: wrong peer, want 10.231.171.99:6808/42661, got 10.231.171.99:6808/73168

Jan 19 19:15:34 host1.com kernel: libceph: osd11 10.231.171.114:6816 wrong peer at address

Jan 19 19:15:34 host1.com kernel: libceph: wrong peer, want 10.231.171.114:6816/130908, got 10.231.171.114:6816/85562

The Ceph cluster had new osd ip and mon ips.

So my questions, since these messages are coming from the kernel module, why cant the kernel module figure out that the mon and osd ips have changed. Is there some caching in the kernel ? when rbd create/attach is called on that host, it is passed new mon ips , so doesnt that update the old already mounted rbd volumes.

Hope i made my doubts clear and yes i am a beginner in Ceph with very limited knowledge.

Thanks for your help again
Mayank