Re: OSDs failing to start after host reboot

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 3:23 PM, Andre Goree <andre@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2018/01/29 2:31 pm, Alfredo Deza wrote:
>
>>> So I'm wondering what my options are at this point.  Perhaps rebuild this
>>> OSD node, using ceph-volume and 'simple', but would not be able to use
>>> encryption?
>>

>> Ungh, I forgot to mention that there is no encryption support.
>>
>> However, ceph-volume lvm gained encryption support last week
>> (available in master), and we are working
>> on encryption support for `simple` and we are almost there.
>>
>> These features will probably end up in Mimic, not in Luminous. If
>> encryption is a must, I am not sure there is any other way than
>> relying in ceph-disk.
>>

>>> And I should probably be wary of any of the other current OSD nodes going
>>> down bc they likely will experience the same issue?  Given all this,
>>> we'll
>>> probably need to rebuild all the OSD nodes in the cluster to make sure
>>> the
>>> can be rebooted reliably?  That's really unfortunate :(
>>

>> The process is convoluted at system startup mostly (I believe). The
>> way I've seen that this might work is that users poke the activation
>> manually
>> until the OSD comes up.
>>
>> In short: there is no encryption support in Luminous for ceph-volume,
>> encryption will be available in Mimic (for both `simple` and `lvm`).
>> There is currently
>> no other way to fully guarantee OSDs are up and running after a reboot.
>>

> I was going to ask about encryption support (again) for lvm, as I see it's
> mentioned here in master/docs
> (http://docs.ceph.com/ceph-ansible/master/osds/scenarios.html#lvm) and I
> remembered you mentioned ceph-volume supported it...then I just re-read that
> there is no encryption support in Luminous for ceph-volume and probably
> won't make it into Luminous, but Mimic.
>
> Just again for my own clarity:  the ONLY _currently_ supported/possible way
> to use encryption with Ceph is via 'ceph-disk' -- with which one cannot
> reboot an OSD host and have the OSDs come up reliably?
>
> I don't suppose you have a rough estimate on when Mimic might be around?

A bit of a change of plans, which hopefully are good news for you:

We are going to backport all the feature work for ceph-volume that was
targeted for Mimic (in current master) back to Luminous.

This means that 12.2.3 will have encryption support in LVM. We are
currently trying to finish work for `simple` to have support for
scanning
non-lvm OSDs or devices with dmcrypt but unsure if that will make it in 12.2.3