Re: OSDs failing to start after host reboot

On 2018/01/29 2:31 pm, Alfredo Deza wrote:

So I'm wondering what my options are at this point. Perhaps rebuild this
OSD node, using ceph-volume and 'simple', but would not be able to use
encryption?

Ungh, I forgot to mention that there is no encryption support.

However, ceph-volume lvm gained encryption support last week
(available in master), and we are working
on encryption support for `simple` and we are almost there.

These features will probably end up in Mimic, not in Luminous. If
encryption is a must, I am not sure there is any other way than
relying in ceph-disk.

And I should probably be wary of any of the other current OSD nodes going down bc they likely will experience the same issue? Given all this, we'll probably need to rebuild all the OSD nodes in the cluster to make sure the
can be rebooted reliably?  That's really unfortunate :(

The process is convoluted at system startup mostly (I believe). The
way I've seen that this might work is that users poke the activation
manually
until the OSD comes up.

In short: there is no encryption support in Luminous for ceph-volume,
encryption will be available in Mimic (for both `simple` and `lvm`).
There is currently
no other way to fully guarantee OSDs are up and running after a reboot.

I was going to ask about encryption support (again) for lvm, as I see it's mentioned here in master/docs (http://docs.ceph.com/ceph-ansible/master/osds/scenarios.html#lvm) and I remembered you mentioned ceph-volume supported it...then I just re-read that there is no encryption support in Luminous for ceph-volume and probably won't make it into Luminous, but Mimic.

Just again for my own clarity: the ONLY _currently_ supported/possible way to use encryption with Ceph is via 'ceph-disk' -- with which one cannot reboot an OSD host and have the OSDs come up reliably?

I don't suppose you have a rough estimate on when Mimic might be around?

I'm wondering how long it might be if I were to deploy a cluster with lvm (so that in the meantime, if for whatever reason an OSD host must be rebooted I can have confidence the OSDs will not be hopelessly unable to start) and then simply rebuild each OSD node once Mimic is released so that we can _reliably_ support encryption. Thanks for all your advice and guidance.

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net
Website   - http://blog.drenet.net