Cephfs Snapshots - Usable in Single FS per Pool Scenario ?

I know that snapshots on Cephfs are experimental and that a known
issue exists with multiple filesystems on one pool but I was surprised
at the result of the following:

I attempted to take a snapshot of a directory in a pool with a single
fs on our properly configured Luminous cluster. I found that the files
in the the .snap directory that I had just updated in order to test a
restore were unreadable if opened with and editor like VI or simply
were identical to the current version of the file when copied back
making the whole snapshot operation unusable.

I considered the whole method of taking a snapshot to be very
straightforward but perhaps I am doing something wrong or is this
behavior to be expected ?

Thanks.

Paul Kunicki
Systems Manager
SproutLoud Media Networks, LLC.
954-476-6211 ext. 144
pkunicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.sproutloud.com

The information contained in this communication is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and for
others authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
taking any action in reliance on these contents is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. In the event the recipient or recipients of this
communication are under a non-disclosure agreement, any and all
information discussed during phone calls and online presentations fall
under the agreements signed by both parties. If you received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to
this e-mail.