Re: Incomplete pgs and no data movement ( cluster appears readonly )

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Brent Kennedy <bkennedy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I adjusted “osd max pg per osd hard ratio ” to 50.0 and left “mon max pg per
> osd” at 5000 just to see if things would allow data movement.  This worked,
> the new pool I created finished its creation and spread out.  I was able to
> then copy the data from the existing pool into the new pool and delete the
> old one.
>

> Used this process for copying the default pools:
>
> ceph osd pool create .users.email.new 16
>
> rados cppool .users.email .users.email.new
>
> ceph osd pool delete .users.email .users.email --yes-i-really-really-mean-it
>
> ceph osd pool rename .users.email.new .users.email
>
> ceph osd pool application enable .users.email rgw
>

> So at this point, I have recreated all the .rgw and .user pools except
> .rgw.buckets with a pg_num of 16, which significantly reduced the pgs,
> unfortunately, the incompletes are still there:
>

>   cluster:
>
>    health: HEALTH_WARN
>
>             Reduced data availability: 4 pgs inactive, 4 pgs incomplete
>
>             Degraded data redundancy: 4 pgs unclean

There seems to have been some confusion here. From your prior thread:

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Brent Kennedy <bkennedy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have upgraded from Hammer to Jewel and then Luminous 12.2.2 as of today.
> During the hammer upgrade to Jewel we lost two host servers

So, if you have size two, and you lose two servers before the data has
finished recovering...you've lost data. And that is indeed what
"incomplete" means: the PG thinks writes may have happened, but the
OSDs which held the data at that time aren't available. You'll need to
dive into doing PG recovery with the ceph-objectstore tool and things,
or find one of the groups that does consulting around recovery.
-Greg