Re: Corrupted files on CephFS since Luminous upgrade

Hi,

The ceph mds keeps all the capabilities for the files, however the clients modify the the rados data pool objects directly (they do not do the content modification threw the mds).

IMHO IF the file (really) gets corrupted because a client write (not some corruption from the mds / osd) then it can only happen if:

-The first client does not request write cap (lock) for that object before write

-OR the MDS does not store that write cap

-OR the MDS does not return the cap to the second client or refuse the write for the second concurrent client

-OR the second client does not (request a write cap / check existing caps / does not obey result for write request denial from the mds)

-OR any of the clients write incorrect data based on obsolete object cache caused by missing / faulty cache eviction (Is this even possible?)

*Please correct me if I am wrong in any of the above!!*

If I were in your shoe, first I would test the locking of the cephfs by writing two test scripts:

-One would constantly append to a file (like an SMTP server does a mailbox)

-The other would modify / add / delete parts o this file (like a imap server does)

And wait for corruption to occur

One other thing, it would be interesting to see what the corruption really looks like for example partially overwritten lines?

It would be interesting to know at what part of the file is the corruption in? beginning? end? %?

Aaand if there were a mailbox compact around the corruption

Kind regards,

Denes.