Re: what's the maximum number of OSDs per OSD server?

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Igor Mendelev
Sent: 10 December 2017 17:37
To: nick@xxxxxxxxxx; ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: what's the maximum number of OSDs per OSD server?

Expected number of nodes for initial setup is 10-15 and of OSDs - 1,500-2,000.

Networking is planned to be 2 100GbE or 2 dual 50GbE in x16 slots (per OSD node).

JBODs are to be connected with 3-4 x8 SAS3 HBAs (4 4x SAS3 ports each)

Choice of hardware is done considering (non-trivial) per-server sw licensing costs -

so small (12-24 HDD) nodes are certainly not optimal regardless of CPUs cost (which

is estimated to be below 10% of the total cost in the setup I'm currently considering).

EC (4+2 or 8+3 etc - TBD) - not 3x replication - is planned to be used for most of the storage space.

Main applications are expected to be archiving and sequential access to large (multiGB) files/objects.

Nick, which physical limitations you're referring to ?

Thanks.

Hi Igor,

I guess I meant physical annoyances rather than limitations. Being able to pull out a 1 or 2U node is always much less of a chore vs dealing with several U of SAS interconnected JBOD’s.

If you have some license reason for larger nodes, then there is a very valid argument for larger nodes. Is this license cost  related in some way to Ceph (I thought Redhat was capacity based) or is this some sort of collocated software? Just make sure you size the nodes to a point that if one has to be taken offline for any reason, that you are happy with the resulting state of the cluster, including the peering when suddenly taking ~200 OSD’s offline/online.

Nick