Re: RBD+LVM -> iSCSI -> VMWare

Another option is to utilize the iscsi gateway, provided in 12.2 http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/iscsi-overview/

Benefits:
You can EOL your old SAN wtihout having to simultaneously migrate to another hypervisor.
Any infrastructure that ties in to vSphere, is unaffected. (CEPH is just another set of datastores.)
If you have the appropriate vmware licenses etc. then your move to CEPH can be done without any downtime.

Drawback from my tests, using ceph-12.2-latest and ESXi-6.5, is that you get around 30% performance penalty, and the
latency is higher, compared to a direct rbd mount.