Re: RBD+LVM -> iSCSI -> VMWare

Just curious but why not just use a hypervisor with rbd support? Are there VMware specific features you are reliant on?

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:08 PM Brady Deetz <bdeetz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm testing using RBD as VMWare datastores. I'm currently testing with krbd+LVM on a tgt target hosted on a hypervisor.

My Ceph cluster is HDD backed.

In order to help with write latency, I added an SSD drive to my hypervisor and made it a writeback cache for the rbd via LVM. So far I've managed to smooth out my 4k write latency and have some pleasing results.

Architecturally, my current plan is to deploy an iSCSI gateway on each hypervisor hosting that hypervisor's own datastore.

Does anybody have any experience with this kind of configuration, especially with regard to LVM writeback caching combined with RBD?