Re: Running Jewel and Luminous mixed for a longer period

On 12/06/2017 03:20 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

Op 5 december 2017 om 18:39 schreef Richard Hesketh <richard.hesketh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 05/12/17 17:10, Graham Allan wrote:
On 12/05/2017 07:20 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

I haven't tried this before but I expect it to work, but I wanted to
check before proceeding.

I have a Ceph cluster which is running with manually formatted
FileStore XFS disks, Jewel, sysvinit and Ubuntu 14.04.

I would like to upgrade this system to Luminous, but since I have to
re-install all servers and re-format all disks I'd like to move it to
BlueStore at the same time.

You don't *have* to update the OS in order to update to Luminous, do you? Luminous is still supported on Ubuntu 14.04 AFAIK.

Though obviously I understand your desire to upgrade; I only ask because I am in the same position (Ubuntu 14.04, xfs, sysvinit), though happily with a smaller cluster. Personally I was planning to upgrade ours entirely to Luminous while still on Ubuntu 14.04, before later going through the same process of decommissioning one machine at a time to reinstall with CentOS 7 and Bluestore. I too don't see any reason the mixed Jewel/Luminous cluster wouldn't work, but still felt less comfortable with extending the upgrade duration.

Well, the sysvinit part bothers me. This setup uses the 'devs' part in ceph.conf and such. It's all a kind of hacky system.

Most of these systems have run Dumpling on Ubuntu 12.04 and have been upgraded ever since. They are messy.

We'd like to reprovision all disks with ceph-volume while we are at it. It would be one step by doing the OS and Ceph at the same time.

I've never tried to run Luminous under 14.04. Looking at the DEB packages there doesn't seem to be sysvinit support anymore in Luminous either.

I upgraded our trusty cluster from jewel to luminous yesterday - it went pretty smoothly. This cluster has been around for a while too (firefly anyway) and a few issues have popped up, of which I will be asking questions separately, but I think due to historic cruft rather than anything inherent to luminous. Perhaps luminous checks things more thoroughly than jewel? The sysvinit startup certainly works fine.

I was also anxious to upgrade to Centos 7 to match our other couple of clusters, as I finally felt I understood the systemd/ceph-disk udev startup process; but it sounds like that is going away as well!

Graham
--
Graham Allan
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute - gta@xxxxxxx