Re: who is using nfs-ganesha and cephfs?

The email was not delivered to ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. So, re-sending it.

Few more things regarding the hardware and clients used in our benchmarking setup:
- The cephfs benchmark were done using kernel cephfs client.
- NFS-Ganesha was mounted using nfs version 4.
- Single nfs-ganesha server was used.

Ceph and Client setup:
- Each client node has 16 cores and 16 GB RAM.
- MDS and Ganesha server is running on the same node.
- Network interconnect between client and ceph nodes is 40Gbit/s.
- Ceph on 8 nodes: (each node has 24 cores/128 GB RAM).
  - 5 OSD nodes
  - 3 MON/MDS nodes
  - 6 OSD daemons per node - Blustore - SSD/NVME journal

------
Supriti Singh SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton,
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

>>> Supriti Singh 11/09/17 12:15 PM >>>
Hi Sage,

As Lars mentioned, at SUSE, we use ganesha 2.5.2/luminous. We did a preliminary performance comparison of cephfs client
and nfs-ganesha client. I have attached the results. The results are aggregate bandwidth over 10 clients.

1. Test Setup:
We use fio to read/write to a single 5GB file per thread for 300 seconds. A single job (represented in x-axis) is of
type {number_of_worker_thread}rw_{block_size}_{op}, where,
number_of_worker_threads: 1, 4, 8, 16
Block size: 4K,64K,1M,4M,8M
op: rw

2. NFS-Ganesha configuration:
Parameters set (other than default):
1. Graceless = True
2. MaxRPCSendBufferSize/MaxRPCRecvBufferSize is set to max value.

3. Observations:
-  For single thread (on each client) and 4k block size, the b/w is around 45% of cephfs
- As number of threads increases, the performance drops. It could be related to nfs-ganesha parameter
"Dispatch_Max_Reqs_Xprt", which defaults to 512. Note, this parameter is important only for v2.5.
- We did run with both nfs-ganesha mdcache enabled/disabled. But there were no significant improvements with caching.
Not sure but it could be related to this issue: https://github.com/nfs-ganesha/nfs-ganesha/issues/223

The results are still preliminary, and I guess with proper tuning of nfs-ganesha parameters, it could be better.

Thanks,
Supriti

------

On 2017-11-08T21:41:41, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Who is running nfs-ganesha's FSAL to export CephFS?  What has your
> experience been?
>
> (We are working on building proper testing and support for this into
> Mimic, but the ganesha FSAL has been around for years.)

We use it currently, and it works, but let's not discuss the performance
;-)

How else do you want to build this into Mimic?

Regards,
    Lars