Re: Cluster Down from reweight-by-utilization

Hey Sage,

Thanks for getting back to me this late on a weekend.

Do you now why the OSDs were going down?  Are there any crash dumps in the
osd logs, or is the OOM killer getting them?
That's a part I can't nail down yet. OSDs didn't crash, after the reweight-by-utilization OSDs on some of our earlier gen servers started spinning 100% cpu and were overwhelmed. Admittedly these early gen osd servers are undersized on cpu which is probably why they got overwhelmed, but it hasn't escalated like this before. Heartbeats among the cluster's OSDs started failing on those OSDs first and then the osd 100% cpu  problem seemed to snowball to all hosts. I'm still trying to figure out why the relatively small reweighting caused this problem.
The usual strategy here is to set 'noup' and get all of the OSDs to catch
up on osdmaps (you can check progress via the above status command).  Once
they are all caught up, unset noup and let them all peer at once.
I tried having noup set for a few hours earlier to see if stopping the moving osdmap target would help but I eventually unset it while doing more troubleshooting. I'll set it again and let it go overnight. Patience is probably needed with a cluster this size. I saw this similar situation and was trying your previous solution http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2014-May/040030.html

The problem that has come up here in the past is when the cluster has been
unhealthy for a long time and the past intervals use too much memory.  I
don't see anything in your description about memory usage, though.  If
that does rear its head there's a patch we can apply to kraken to work
around it (this is fixed in luminous).
Memory usage doesn't seem too bad, a little tight on some of those early gen servers, but I haven't seen OOM killing things off yet. I think I saw mention of that patch and luminous handling this type of situation better while googling the issue...larger osdmap increments or something similar if i recall correctly. My cluster is a few weeks away from a luminous upgrade.

Kevin