Re: PGs inconsistent, do I fear data loss?

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 1:21 AM koukou73gr <koukou73gr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The scenario is actually a bit different, see:

Let's assume size=2, min_size=1
-We are looking at pg "A" acting [1, 2]
-osd 1 goes down
-osd 2 accepts a write for pg "A"
-osd 2 goes down
-osd 1 comes back up, while osd 2 still down
-osd 1 has no way to know osd 2 accepted a write in pg "A"
-osd 1 accepts a new write to pg "A"
-osd 2 comes back up.

bang! osd 1 and 2 now have different views of pg "A" but both claim to
have current data.

In this case, OSD 1 will not accept IO precisely because it can not prove it has the current data. That is the basic purpose of OSD peering and holds in all cases.
-Greg

-K.