Re: Kernel version recommendation

Saying Ubuntu doesn't have a place on servers negates your assertion that the OS is a tool and you should use the right tool for the right job. Sometimes you need an OS that updates its kernel more often than basically never. Back when VMs were gaining traction and CentOS 6 was running the 2.6 kernel. That kernel version had zero features that were designed for a virtual deployment. Yes CentOS is incredibly stable and backports all of the security patches, but for VM performance CentOS 6 was outpaced by Ubuntu as a virtual server by a 4x performance increase as a webserver during our testing.

For ceph, it was originally developed solely for Ubuntu and major work into compatibility with CentOS and RHEL didn't start until Redhat purchased ceph. That compatibility took some time and is pretty much fully there now, but back in Firefly and earlier running ceph on centos was a pita.

Back to the point of centos vs Ubuntu... Why limit it there? On the previous mentioned testing I had done with virtual webservers way back when, we had centos responding in 50ms, Ubuntu in 10ms, and a properly configured Gentoo server in 5ms. Please don't be an OS bigot while touting that you should learn the proper tool. Redhat is not the only distribution with a large support structure.

The OS is a tool, but you should actually figure out and use the proper tool for your job. If stability is by far the most important factor, then centos/rhel is likely a great choice for you.