Re: (no subject)

Your client needs to tell the cluster that the objects have been deleted.  '-o discard' is my goto because I'm lazy and it works well enough for me.  If you're in need of more performance, then fstrim is the other option.  Nothing on the Ceph side can be configured to know when a client no longer needs the contents of an object.  It just acts like a normal harddrive in that the filesystem on top of the RBD removed the pointers to the objects, but the disk just lets the file stay where it is until it is eventually overwritten.

Utilizing discard or fstrim cleans up the objects immediately, but at the cost of cluster iops.  If you know that a particular RBD overwrites its data all the time, then you can skip using fstrim on it as it will constantly be using the same objects anyway.