Re: MDS damaged

if you were following this page:
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-pg/

then there is normally hours of troubleshooting in the following paragraph, before finally admitting defeat and marking the object as lost:

"It is possible that there are other locations where the object can exist that are not listed. For example, if a ceph-osd is stopped and taken out of the cluster, the cluster fully recovers, and due to some future set of failures ends up with an unfound object, it won’t consider the long-departed ceph-osd as a potential location to consider. (This scenario, however, is unlikely.)"

Also this warning is important regarding the loosing of objects:
"Use this with caution, as it may confuse applications that expected the object to exist."

mds is definitiftly such an application. i think rgw would be the only application that loosing a object could be acceptable, depending on what used the object storage. rbd and cephfs will have issues of varying degree. One could argue that the mark-unfound-lost command should have a --yes-i-mean-it type of warning, especialy of the pool application is cephfs or rbd

This is ofcourse a bit late now that the object is marked as lost. but for your future reference: since you had a inconsistent pg, most likely you had one corrupt object and 1 or more OK object on some osd. and using the methods written about in http://ceph.com/geen-categorie/ceph-manually-repair-object/ might have recovered that object for you.

kind regards
Ronny Aasen