Re: Qs on caches, and cephfs

Multiple cached tiers? 2 tiers to 1 pool or a cache tier to a cache tier? Neither are discussed or mentioned anywhere. At best it might work, but isn't tested for a new release.

One cache to multiple pools? Same as above.

The luminous docs for cache tiering was updated with "A Word of Caution" where they try to explain which use cases do and don't make sense for cache tiering.  There are definitely some use cases that benefit from cache tiering, but most will benefit more from other osd stack tweaks.

To configure an MDS manually, I pieced the following together from around the net a couple months back and put this together from my history.  It assumes that `hostname -s` is the name you plan to name the mds daemon, that you use systemd, runs the daemon in your window to watch it running and troubleshoot anything if you need to, and ultimately starting it as a service.

  host=$(hostname -s)
  mkdir -p /var/lib/ceph/mds/ceph-$host
  ceph-authtool --create-keyring /var/lib/ceph/mds/ceph-$host/keyring --gen-key -n mds.$host
  chmod 640 /var/lib/ceph/mds/ceph-$host/keyring
  touch /var/lib/ceph/mds/ceph-$host/systemd
  ceph auth add mds.$host osd "allow rwx" mds "allow" mon "allow profile mds" -i /var/lib/ceph/mds/ceph-$host/keyring
  chown -R ceph:ceph /var/lib/ceph/mds/
  ceph-mds -i $host --setuser ceph --setgroup ceph
# ctrl+c to exit the daemon so you can start it as a service
  systemctl enable ceph-mds@$host.service
  systemctl start ceph-mds@$host.service