Re: Efficient storage of small objects / bulk erasure coding

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Jiri Horky <jiri.horky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> we are thinking of building relatively big CEPH-based object storage for
> storage of our sample files - we have about 700M files ranging from very
> small (1-4KiB) files to pretty big ones (several GiB). Median of file
> size is 64KiB. Since the required space is relatively large (1PiB of
> usable storage), we are thinking of utilizing erasure coding for this
> case. On the other hand, we need to achieve at least 1200MiB/s
> throughput on reads. The working assumption is 4+2 EC (thus 50% overhead).
>
> Since the EC is per-object, the small objects will be stripped to even
> smaller ones. With 4+2 EC, one needs (at least) 4 IOs to read a single
> object in this scenario -> number of required IOPS when using EC is
> relatively high. Some vendors (such as Hitachi, but I believe EMC as
> well) do offline, predefined-chunk size EC instead. The idea is to first
> write objects with replication factor of 3, wait for enough objects to
> fill 4x 64MiB chunks and only do EC on that. This not only makes the EC
> less computationally intensive, and repairs much faster, but it also
> allows reading majority of the small objects directly by reading just
> part of one of the chunk from it (assuming non degraded state) - one
> chunk actually contains the whole object.

How does the client know the name of the larger/bulk object, given the
name of one of the small objects within it?  Presumably, there is some

> I wonder if something similar is already possible with CEPH and/or is
> planned. For our use case of very small objects, it would mean near 3-4x
> performance boosts in terms of required IOPS performance.
>
> Another option how to get out of this situation is to be able to specify
> different storage pools/policies based on file size - i.e. to do 3x
> replication of the very small files and only use EC for bigger files,
> where the performance hit with 4x IOPS won't be that painful. But I I am
> afraid this is not possible...

Surely there is nothing stopping you writing your small objects in one
pool and your large objects in another?  Am I missing something?

John