Re: qemu drive mirror using qemu-rbd

I don't know of any technical limitations within QEMU (although most likely untested), but it definitely appears that libvirt restricts you to a file or block device. Note that we do have a librbd backlog item for built-in image migration [1] that would follow a similar approach as QEMU.

[1] https://trello.com/c/qAlIvwq8