Re: A new SSD for journals - everything sucks?

On 17-10-11 09:50 AM, Josef Zelenka wrote:
Hello everyone,
lately, we've had issues with buying SSDs that we use for journaling(Kingston stopped making them) - Kingston V300 - so we decided to start using a different model and started researching which one would be the best price/value for us. We compared five models, to check if they are compatible with our needs - SSDNow v300, HyperX Fury,SSDNOw KC400, SSDNow UV400 and SSDNow A400. the best one is still the V300, with the highest iops of 59 001. Second best and still useable was the HyperX Fury with 45000 iops.  The other three had terrible results, the max iops we got were around 13 000 with the dsync and direct flags. We also tested Samsung SSDs(the EVO series) and we got similarly bad results. To get to the root of my question - i am pretty sure we are not the only ones affected by the v300's death. Is there anyone else out there with some benchmarking data/knowledge about some good price/performance SSDs for ceph journaling? I can also share the complete benchmarking data my coworker made, if someone is interested.

Never, absolutely never pick consumer-grade SSDs for Ceph cluster, and in particular - never pick a drive with low TBW for journal. Ceph is going to kill it within a few months. Besides, consumer-grade drives are not optimized for Ceph-like/enterprise workloads, resulting in weird performance characteristics, like tens of thousands of IOPS for a first few seconds, then dropping to 1K IOPS (typical for drives with TLC NAND and SLC NAND cache), or performing reasonably till some write queue depth is hit, then degrading badly (underperforming controller), or killing your OSD journals on power failure (no BBU or capacitors to power the drive while flushing when PSU goes down).

You may want to look at this:
https://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2014/10/10/ceph-how-to-test-if-your-ssd-is-suitable-as-a-journal-device/

--
Piotr Dałek