Re: What HBA to choose? To expand or not to expand?

Hello!

According to LSI2308 performance I have the following interesting observation:

At the time of the initial tests I've made a number of tests and chose Samsung SM863 drives as a core of the all-flash pools and journals. The tests were done on the workstation with Intel Z97 chipset via internal SATA3 port.
And I've got the following result (here is only part of the test, full results can be found in the comment to Sebastian Han's blog post and full explanation of the situation with SAS controller is here):

$ sudo hdparm -W 0 /dev/sdc
$ sudo fio --filename=/dev/sdc --direct=1 --sync=1 --rw=write --bs=4k --numjobs=10 --iodepth=1 --runtime=60 --time_based --group_reporting --name=journal-test
write: io=20243MB, bw=345477KB/s, iops=86369, runt= 60001msec
clat (usec): min=28, max=19841, avg=115.18, stdev=42.61

But after I've put the same SSD into the server with Intel RMS25LB controller (it's a part of the Intel AH2000JF6GKIT) it shows quarter less IOPS and worse latencies (more predictable though):

$ sudo hdparm -W 0 /dev/sdc # actually does nothing
$ echo "temporary write through" | sudo tee /sys/block/sdc/device/scsi_disk/0\:0\:0\:0/cache_type # does the actual trick with cache on rms26lb controller, without it results much worse
$ sudo fio --filename=/dev/sdc --direct=1 --sync=1 --rw=write --bs=4k --numjobs=10 --iodepth=1 --runtime=60 --time_based --group_reporting --name=journal-test
write: io=14603MB, bw=249210KB/s, iops=62302, runt= 60002msec
clat (usec): min=66, max=947, avg=158.92, stdev=30.05

I don't have another compatible SAS controllers around to do more tests and I'm not sure this isn't connected with mis-configuration, but this is what I see. I've run tests on different servers and with different SSD samples - results are the same.

RMS25LBs have the latest firmware (20.0).

By the way, if somebody will point settings I can use to raise IOPS on rms25lb controller - I'll be happy.

---
Best regards,
Vladimir

Marc Roos wrote:

> We use these :
> NVDATA Product ID              : SAS9207-8i
> Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2308
> PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)
>
> Does someone by any chance know how to turn on the drive identification
> lights?

Tested with a MegaRAID SAS 2108 / DELL H700 :

megacli -PDList -a0

get the enclosure and drive number :
Enclosure Device ID: 32
Slot Number: 0

megacli -PdLocate -start -physdrv '[32:0]' -a0