Re: Fwd: FileStore vs BlueStore

Hi,

On 09/20/2017 11:10 AM, Sam Huracan wrote:
So why do not journal write only metadata?
As I've read, it is for ensure consistency of data, but I do not know how to do that in detail? And why BlueStore still ensure consistency without journal?

The main reason for having a journal with filestore is having a block device that supports synchronous writes. Writing to a filesystem in a synchronous way (e.g. including all metadata writes) results in a huge performance penalty.

With bluestore the data is also stored on a block devices, and thus also allows to perform synchronous writes directly (given the backing storage is handling sync writes correctly and in a consistent way, e.g. no drive caches, bbu for raid controllers/hbas). And similar to the filestore journal the bluestore wal/rocksdb partitions can be used to allow both faster devices (ssd/nvme) and faster sync writes (compared to spinners).

Regards,
Burkhard