Re: Fwd: FileStore vs BlueStore

So why do not journal write only metadata?
As I've read, it is for ensure consistency of data, but I do not know how to do that in detail? And why BlueStore still ensure consistency without journal?

On 20/09/2017 10:59, Sam Huracan wrote:
> Hi Cephers,
>
> I've read about new BlueStore and have 2 questions:
>
> 1. The purpose of BlueStore is eliminating the drawbacks of POSIX when
> using FileStore. These drawbacks also cause journal, result in double write
> penalty. Could you explain me more detail about POSIX fails when using in
> FileStore? and how Bluestore still guarantee consistency without journal?
From what I guess, bluestore uses the definitive storage location as a
journal

So, filestore:
- write data to the journal
- write metadata
- move data from journal to definitive storage

Bluestore:
- write data to definitive storage (free space, not overwriting anything)
- write metadata