Re: Jewel -> Luminous upgrade, package install stopped all daemons

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:34 PM David Turner <drakonstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't understand a single use case where I want updating my packages
> >> using yum, apt, etc to restart a ceph daemon.  ESPECIALLY when there are so
> >> many clusters out there with multiple types of daemons running on the same
> >> server.
> >>
> >> My home setup is 3 nodes each running 3 OSDs, a MON, and an MDS server.
> >> If upgrading the packages restarts all of those daemons at once, then I'm
> >> mixing MON versions, OSD versions and MDS versions every time I upgrade my
> >> cluster.  It removes my ability to methodically upgrade my MONs, OSDs, and
> >> then clients.
> I think the choice one makes with small cluster is the upgrade is
> going to be disruptive, but for the large redundant cluster
> it is better that the upgrade do the *full* job for better user

Hi, if upgrades on small clusters are _supposed_ to be disruptive, that
should be documented very prominently, including the minimum
requirements to be met for an update to _not_ be disruptive. Smooth
upgrade experience is probably more important for small clusters.
Larger installations will have less of a tendency to colocate different
daemon types and will have deployment/management tools with all the
necessary bells and whistles. If a ceph cluster has only a few machines
that does not always mean it can afford downtime.

On Ubuntu/Debian systems, you could create a script at
/usr/sbin/policy-rc.d with return code 101 to suppress all
start/stop/restart actions at install time:
    http://blog.zugschlus.de/archives/974-Debians-Policy-rc.d-infrastructure-explained.html
Remember to remove it afterwards :-)

Don't know about RPM-based systems.

Regards