Re: Mixed versions of cluster and clients

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017, Mike A wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We have a ceph cluster based on Jewel release and one virtualization infrastructure that is using the cluster. Now we are going to add another ceph cluster but based on luminous with bluestore.
> The virtualization infrastructure must use these ceph clusters.  Do I need to update software version of client (librbd/librados) inside the virtualization infra?
>
> I think there are 3 different ways to add the new cluster:
> 1. Update client side to the Luminous release and leave old cluster to the Jewel release
> 2. Update old cluster and client to the Luminous release
> 3. Leave old cluster and client to the Jewel release
>
> Please suggest pros and cons.

You can use either jewel or luminous clients.  Just be aware that the
luminous cluster can't use luminous-only features until clients are
upgrade.  By default, new luminous clusters will set their "min compat
client" to jewel, so no special configuration is needed.

3 is the smallest change and least risk, which is appealing. You'll want
to do 2 eventually, and 1 is a step along that path.

sage