Mixed versions of cluster and clients

Hello!

We have a ceph cluster based on Jewel release and one virtualization infrastructure that is using the cluster. Now we are going to add another ceph cluster but based on luminous with bluestore.
The virtualization infrastructure must use these ceph clusters.  Do I need to update software version of client (librbd/librados) inside the virtualization infra?

I think there are 3 different ways to add the new cluster:
1. Update client side to the Luminous release and leave old cluster to the Jewel release
2. Update old cluster and client to the Luminous release
3. Leave old cluster and client to the Jewel release

Please suggest pros and cons.

—
Mike, runs!